Thursday, 30 January 2014

DOGS RUN FROM BOOK OF KELLS TO CANADA

Images from Book of Kells

Running Dogs by Connie Jensen, Trifolium Jewellery

Available at The Fountain Gallery


This brooch is now on its way to deepest Ontario as a present for a vet. 


I designed it when one of the illuminations in the Book of Kells caught my imagination. 

Below is is a drawing from the original.


I have found several artifacts based on this design, but most jewellers and potters etc have copied the original exactly, and as far as jewellery is concerned, I think simplest is best. 

I redrew many times, as is my wont when designing a new piece and became more and more frustrated until I 'lost' the far side legs and all became clearer and cleaner. I kept the look of the rangy, ferocious hounds, and gained an airier piece of 3D jewellery, with a pattern of interlocked triangles, which looks dramatic on dark cloth.

The next stage was to use the same idea with a different animal. This was harder than I expected- and again, many others have done the same thing with varying degrees of success. I finally ended up with Running Deer, heavier and perhaps more formal than the dogs.




No comments:

Post a Comment